PG18: Laparoscopic Suturing In The Vertical Zone: A Hands-On Course
Time:8:15 am - 5:00 pm
Location:Room E - San Diego Marriott Marquis Hotel and Marina
Grace M. Janik, M.D. (Chair), Reproductive Specialty Center
Charles H. Koh, M.D. (Co-Chair), Reproductive Specialty Center
Jeffrey M. Goldberg, M.D., Cleveland Clinic
Ceana Nezhat, M.D., Northside Hospital
Developed in Cooperation with the Society of Reproductive Surgeons
NEEDS ASSESSMENT AND COURSE DESCRIPTION
The main deterrent to performing reproductive surgery by laparoscopy is the inability to suture.
This course has been designed for reproductive surgeons who want to advance their laparoscopic skills by being able to confidently able to perform laparoscopic suturing. The progressive algorithm for laparoscopic suturing presented in this course has been tested nationally and internationally over many years and results in proficiency with intracorporeal knotting in less than 3 minutes by over 80% of attendees. The methodology employed and relative hand positions and movements are immediately transferable from the trainer to the operating room. The course equips all attendees with improved suturing skills and insights into their application during surgery. In addition to single stitch placement, continuous suturing and microsuturing will be covered enabling the participants to use these skills to perform laparoscopic myomectomy as well as tubal reconstructive surgery. Suturing with endoloop, barbed suture, and robotics will also be covered. Didactic lectures will improve participants’ knowledge and hands on component will provide direct clinical skills improvement.
At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Discuss the ergonomics, theory, and rational for reproducible laparoscopic suturing.
- Apply skills learned in the course to relevant reproductive surgery, including myomectomy, tubal surgery and management of bowel, bladder, and ureteral complications by appropriate suture repair.
- Use the endoloop and barbed suture.
- Summarize the basic principles of robotic suturing.
- Demonstrate measurable improvement in laparoscopic suturing skills.